Saturday 16th June....Defeat by Birkenhead Park

The First XI welcomed old rivals Birkenhead Park to Sefton Park. Sefton won the toss and decided to bat first. An excellent innings of 83 not out by skipper Richie Forsyth led the way in a solid Sefton batting performance, he was well supported by 51 not out from Greg Harvey. Breaks for rain and only 40 overs bowled before tea led to an early declaration on 180 for 3 in 48 overs to try and produce a result.

The game was finally balanced when the Birkenhead Park overseas player, Ahmad Safi Abdullah, entered the fray. He hit 44 off 18 balls and the game suddenly swung Birkenhead Park's way. They went on to win by 4 wickets with 8 ball left. Rob Houghton finished with 3 for 81 and Daniel Kelly 2 for 53. A special mention for fourteen year old Huzaifa Zubair who took his first First XI wicket for 19 runs in a tidy spell.

Richie Forsyth  
(left) Richie Forsyth completes his half century with a single and (below) Greg Harvey scored 51 not out in the First XI game against Birkenhead Park
  Greg Harvey

The Second XI travelled to New Brighton and dismissed the home side for 197 with Phil Calrow taking 3 for 29, Harry Bailey 2 for 20 and Joel Parkinson 2 for 44. In reply, Rory McInnes-Gibbons added to three wickets that he had taken with 43 runs, Richie Conlan scored 56 not out, Dan Coonan 37 and Adam Taylor 22 to enable Sefton to pass the New Brighton total with 8 wickets down.

The Third XI made it an all Birkenhead Park day at Sefton Park, playing their Third XI. Sefton batted first and scored runs rapidly with Richard Regler scoring 41, Phil Birch 61 not out and Jordan Kevan 72 not out as they reached 212 for 2 declared in 35 overs. Birkenhead Park were dismissed for 150 in reply with John Fretwell taking 3 for 30, Corrin Murphy 2 for 20 and Tim Gray 2 for 12.

Jordan Kevan  
Jordan Kevan scored 72 not out for the Third XI in their win over Birkenhead Park

The Fourth XI travelled to Birchfield Park. The home side batted first and reached 49 for 2 when the rains came. Two heavy showers meant that there was no more play possible and the game was called off. Both wickets were taken by Terry Macklin.

The Fifth XI played Maghull's Thirds at the Liverpool College ground. Sefton batted first and were dismissed for 77 with Rob Geddes scoring 27. In reply Maghull reached the Sefton total after losing 4 wickets. Mike Wildsmith took 2 for 22 and Paul Sterling 2 for 45